18 September 2012

Hot & Skinny Spinach Dip


There is something so satisfying about stuffing a chip loaded with hot, gooey dip into your mouth.  One of my absolute favorites has always been spinach dip....except for one thing.  The mayonnaise.  I have never been a big fan.  I can understand most foods spoiling, but the thought of a condiment making you sick if it's left out for a few hours creeps my tummy out.  If you concur with me, I am here to tell you that you can live a perfectly happy life sans-mayo by simply switching to Greek yogurt.  What a wonderful, high protein, reduced fat alternative!


In the past, I've used Greek yogurt in turkey salads, dressings, sauces, to make sandwich spreads and who knows how else.  (The hubs, that's who!)  Honestly, I can't taste the difference and neither can my food testers.  Many a dinner party have been bamboozled with yogurt in lieu of mayonnaise without their ever knowing.  And it stood to reason that if can be used so seamlessly in so many other recipes, why not incorporate it into this hot, cheesy spinach-y goodness?  Cut a few calories and a lot of fat and make this dip a little better for the waistline.  



I'd looked around at lots of skinny spinach dip recipes and most used fat free sour cream with a bit of mayo.  Why an entire recipe needs a quarter cup or five tablespoons of mayo just didn't make sense.  In that small of a ratio, I don't even get why it's being added.  So I just nixed it all for yogurt.  You still have plenty of gooey delicious fat from the cheese and the vegetable serving from the spinach.  Just think of it as the body builder of spinach dips - less fat, more protein.  


Not the best pic above (I was wiggling with anticipation of my first bite) but I did want to show off the melty, stringy cheese.  The hubs was in love with this stuff and ate it on everything from homemade bread to tortilla chips to.....well I'll post what else tomorrow :)

Added bonus!!!  This is a 3-4 serving recipe and wonderful for a smaller household.  Sometimes it's nice to avoid the leftovers....

*Update* - Turn your spinach dip into a meal with a Spinach Dip & Roast Beef Panini or Spinach Dip Salmon Burger.  And by all means, please tell me your favorite way to eat this stuff! (I want to try it)


Skinny Spinach Dip (3-4 servings)
  • 6-7 oz frozen spinach (half a 12-oz bag)
  • 1/3 c fat free Greek yogurt
  • 2 green onions, finely sliced
  • 1 clove garlic, minced
  • 1/2 c shredded part skim mozzarella
  • 1/4 c shredded Parmesan
  • pepper or red chili flakes (to taste)
Completely thaw your spinach either in the microwave or by letting sit for a day in the refrigerator.  Squeeze out as much liquid as you can by hand and then press between two paper towels to remove as much moisture as possible.  

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees and spray a 4x4 dish or four 1-inch ramekins with non-stick.  In a medium bowl, combine all ingredients and mix well.  Transfer to prepared baking dish and bake for 25-30 minutes, until dip is bubbling and the cheese is starting to brown around the edges.  Serve hot.  

This dip can be stored in the refrigerator for a day or so before it is baked.  Just cover a ramekin to store and pop it in the oven when you're ready to eat it...easy as spinach pie.


35 comments:

  1. So glad that it was a hit at your football fiesta! Definitely a man-pleaser recipe that you can still feel good about eating.

    ReplyDelete
  2. could you use fresh spinach, or does it have to be frozen?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Frozen is better for this recipe. If you used fresh spinach, it would need to be cooked before hand. It would also have a stronger spinach flavor in the end result. Overall, I think it's worth the $1 to splurge on a bag from the frozen section!

      Delete
    2. I actually just used fresh for a party - I cut up a couple handfulls of spinach & put them in the microwave for about a minute and then put them in the mix. It was a big hit at the party.

      Delete
    3. thanks for the feedback - glad it turned out well for you!

      Delete
    4. i've always used fresh baby spinach with out cooking it first, and it works just fine, no need to add the extra step in my opinion. i love this recipe because you can do so many variations, i've made mine with red peppers, artichokes, even mushrooms & feta...soooo yummy!

      Delete
    5. Glad you're playing around with this recipe...it's fun to fiddle with! I love adding shredded chicken breast, too.

      Delete
  3. Mayo is not the enemy as so many believe! I recently read an article where they explained that since mayo is made with vinegar, it is not even necessary to refrigerate it. I know this to be true, because I used to have a friend who never refrigerated hers! The article I read stated that it is the other ingredients in the dishes that are the the problem. Google it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Googled! I feel so educated now...thanks for the tip. I passed this info to my hubs, who was absolutely delighted to hear he can now add mayo to his pre-packed lunches.

      Delete
    2. you should re-write your into to this dish...then I will pass on this recipe...please do not dis mayo....it's wonderful to work with!

      Delete
  4. I made this recipe for my book club and people enjoyed it! I found it through Pinterest and thus, featured it on my blog. Thanks for the recipe! :)

    http://pinterestprojects.blog.com/2012/12/05/hot-skinny-spinach-dip/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Jamie, thanks for the blog shout-out! Glad to hear it was a success at book club. Love the idea behind your blog, and I hope you don't mind gaining a new follower..... :)

      Delete
  5. This dip is so so so so so so good. I think I could eat it on daily base. I've put it up on my blog and linked to your post. http://sumofmind.com/2012/12/09/pinterest-try-out-hot-skinny-spinach-dip/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you enjoyed it Jessie, and thanks for the mention. I could eat this every day too! Try it in phyllo cups, stuffed meatloaf, and on turkey burgers...delish!

      Delete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm going to make it for a work luncheon on Wednesday. I bought pita chips, blue corn tortilla chips, and pumpernickel bread for dipping/spreading. I will post my coworkers' feedback, but I can already assume it will be great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great call with the pita chips...the thick chip is perfect for dipping. It's also awesome on celery sticks if you want to add a veggie to the dipping utensils.

      Delete
  8. About to make for the big game...Beyonce Bowl! Hope it turns out...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi, can you crock pot this? It sounds great

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey! You could definitely make the dip in a crock pot, just heat on low for an hour or two until melty. However, you would miss out on the crispy edges and toasted top. So if you're a center-of-the-dip type person, you'll love it!

      Delete
  10. Hope the dip went well with Density's Child!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I was wondering if you knew how long this will last after it has been baked? Could i refrigerate the left overs for a day or two?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welp, the longest it's lasted in our house has been about 2-3 days, but you could probably eat it over the course of a week. I love throwing it on a wrap to heat for lunch at work, spreading it on grilled chicken or...wait for it....over scrambled eggs. Wowsa, so good. I've also blogged a couple other options for leftovers - Spinach Dip Salmon Burgers and Spinach Dip & Roast Beef Panini. Then there's always the classic reheat in the microwave. Enjoy!

      Delete
  12. Spinach is probably one of the best green leafy vegetables because it packed with numerous health benefits and Nutritional value. It can be eaten cooked or raw, but it is recommended to steam or eat them raw as salad, because that can preserves the nutrients in it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  14. whats the best chip to use with this recipe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My favorites are blue corn tortilla and garlic & herb pita chips...the pita chips are sturdier and pick up the thick dip really well. The hubs likes regular tortilla chips, nothing too fancy.

      Delete
  15. Why not top a grilled chicken breast with this ... or stuff some mushrooms with it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love this stuffed in mushrooms! And I like the grilled chicken, though I'd likely throw it on a crusty piece of bread first.....yum. Thanks for sharing!

      Delete
  16. Thank you! I am allergic to eggs, so mayo is not an option! I love this dip!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No one should be deprived of spinach dip...so glad this works with your diet!

      Delete
  17. Ooalqlqlal@¥)@)@,@)))+)+)+)@))@)+)+)+))+))+)+)++)+
    lqlqllqlqllqlqla₩++oakqlq@¥)@₩)+)@)@)+))+₩)@))+)@)+))@)@))+)@))+)@₩@))@)@)@)+)@)+)@)@)@)@)@)@@))@)@)@)@)@)@))@)@)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Iaiiaowosoziaoosowosoiiwiaiw9woaiqow××+¥×¥9@¥@¥÷)#(×¥¥3¥×¥×¥×9×¥×¥×¥@¥×¥×9×¥¥××¥9×299399×¥×¥×¥+¥¥×¥×9×9

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hjhjjjjjjjjjjjjnj&!&***££(**&(£¥*¥(¥¥¥¥(((¥(¥₩()((¥((((()(()?(()(??(())))))))¥)))((((

    ReplyDelete