15 April 2012

Knockoff "The Rock" Brown Sugar Mozz Bread


There is a pizza joint in the Northwest called The Rock that makes simply spectacular pizza creations.  I've tried about half of the menu and loved it all.  I was very wary, however, of an appetizer that they offered by the name of Brown Sugar Mozz Bread.  I'll take a garlic, olive oil and cheese pizza any day....but brown sugar?!  No thank you.  I don't care if it's my big brother's favorite.  Cheese, garlic and brown sugar?  It sounds wrong!



The third time I ate there, I finally caved.  And man, am I ever glad I did!  This stuff is incredible.  The addition of the brown sugar sweetness makes a delicious, almost syrupy sauce with the garlic and olive oil. And melty cheese is always a winner in my book.

The hubs and I were hit with a hankering for this hot, gooey deliciousness last week.  Unfortunately, The Rock is 2000 miles away, and we cannot afford that delivery fee.  So I decided to whip some up myself and make it a bit healthier while doing so.

I used my basic whole wheat pizza crust recipe, light butter and part skim mozzarella cheese.  So if you're feeling up for a new adventure, give this a whirl.  Your taste buds will be happy you did.


(My crust runneth over....but who cares?!)

Knockoff "The Rock" Brown Sugar Mozz Bread
  • Easy Whole Wheat PIzza Crust, or store bought if you prefer
  • 4 tbs light butter
  • 4 tbs garlic, finely minced
  • 4 tbs brown sugar
  • 1/2 c part-skim mozzarella cheese, shredded
  • 1/4 c parmesan or pecorino romano cheese, shredded
Preheat your oven to 500 degrees.  Place a pizza stone or pizza pan in the oven to preheat.  This helps you achieve a crispier crust.  Form your pizza dough into a crust with folded or raised crust (to hold in the good stuff!) on parchment paper. 

Combine butter and minced garlic in a microwave safe dish.  Place in microwave and heat on high until the butter melts, about 30 seconds.  Use a basting brush to spread the garlic butter on top of your crust.  Sprinkle 3 tablespoons of brown sugar evenly over the garlic butter.  Top with the shredded mozzarella and parmesan, and top it all off with your final tablespoon of brown sugar (or two!).  

Bake for 8-10 minutes until cheese is melty and bubbly.  Turn your broiler onto high and allow your cheese to golden and crisp, about 30 seconds to a minute.  Remove and allow to cool for 2 minutes prior to slicing.  

Mmmmmm......

2 comments:

  1. Are you sure 4 tablespoons of garlic? Thats seems like way too much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely positively sure. It seems like a lot, but all of the flavor comes from that garlic. We've made this several times for friends and never had any complaints about it being too garlicky, but feel free to reduce by up to one tablespoon if you're not the biggest garlic fan (or friends with vampires).

      Delete