14 April 2012

Rosemary Buttermilk Scones


I looked forward to the Puyallup fair every year growing up.  The wooden roller coaster, the horses, hobby hall, caramel apples....I loved it all.  A perfect day of fun.  However, there was one thing that kept me going through high school and college....and that, my friends, is the Fischer Scones.  Made constantly and served up hot by dozens of little old grannies in hairnets, these things were the best part of the fair.  We would buy 2 dozen and take them home to eat and freeze.  The thought was to save them, but that never ended up happening.

This is where my love affair with scones began.



I love them for their crusty exterior and tender interior.  I love their buttery flavor and their unique savory quality.  I love everything about them.....except the fat content.  A really good scone recipe will call for at least a half pound of butter, and that's how you get the flaky deliciousness.  I do make more decadent scones from time to time, but I also try to make healthier ones for every day breakfasts.

Lately I've been playing a lot with herbs.  In dishes that I typically make with fruit of some sort, I've been using oregano, rosemary, lavender, thyme, sage and other herbaceous goodies.  I have especially been digging rosemary and fruit, so I decided to bring them together in a scone.  The results were delicious.

This recipe makes a great savory scone.  The buttermilk helps them get nice and fluffy, which really helps when you use whole wheat flour.  They are excellent with your favorite fruit jam, but make a delicious fried egg sandwich as well.  We're trying them tonight with baked brie....I'll update you on how that works (I have a feeling it will be delicious).

Rosemary Buttermilk Scones
  • 1/2 c fat free milk
  • 1/2 tbs lemon juice
  • 1 egg
  • 3 tbs sugar
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 1 c whole wheat flour
  • 1 c flour
  • 1 tbs baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 2 tbs dried rosemary (or to taste)
  • 4 tbs very cold butter, cut into small pieces
Preheat your oven to 375 degrees and cover a baking sheet with parchment paper.  Combine milk and lemon juice together and stir well.  Let sit for 10 minutes.  Then you have buttermilk. Or you can use store bought if you prefer.

Combine buttermilk, egg, sugar and vanilla in a medium bowl and whisk together.  Set aside.  

Combine flour, baking powder, salt and rosemary together in a large bowl.  Add your cold butter and blend together with a pastry blender or fork until the butter has broken down into tiny bits, smaller than a pea.  Pour in your wet ingredients and mix until just combined.  

Transfer dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead 3-4 times with your hands.  Shape into a mound-like disk with a slightly raised center.  Flour a knife and cut into 6 pieces for large scones or 10 for smaller scones.  Place on baking sheet and bake for about 15 minutes, until the scones are golden on top and the sides are no longer doughy to the touch.  Serve hot with butter and fruit jam (I like raspberry).  Also makes a delicious fried egg sandwich.

No comments:

Post a Comment