05 January 2013

Eggs Florentine with Avocado Basil Creme


If you read this blog with any regularity (hi mom!), you know that we love poached eggs on toast.  We make some variation of this classic about once a month.  So far I've introduced you to Smoked Salmon Benedict, Green Goddess Breakfast Toasts and Pacific Northwest Breakfast Toasts.  But our favorites are still the classics:  the hubs loves Eggs Benedict (ham) and I adore Eggs Florentine (tomato & spinach).  Since the hubs is at work this lazy Saturday morning, I was free to dabble in Florentine land. 



I always think of Eggs Florentine as the healthier, vegetarian of Eggs Benedict.  As previously mentioned, ham is swapped out for fresh sliced tomatoes and spinach.  Two of my favorite vegetables...yum.  Florentine has less protein but an added serving of veggies, which is a bonus.  It also allows the other flavors shine through a bit more in my opinion.  In Benedict, you have that strong hammy flavor (from the ham....duh) that is obviously delicious.  By removing the ham, you get only the delicious flavors of soft poached eggs and sauce.  And being an unabashed condiment fiend, I love going over the top with toppings such as hollandaise or......


 ...this lovely and amazing Avocado Basil Creme.  *Swoon!*  When I originally planned breakfast, I was thinking of a nice pesto over the top to compliment the spinach and tomato.  Upon opening the fridge, however, I found that I had such a puny supply of fresh basil that this topping was immediately ruled out.  But as my eyes wandered over to the ripe avocado sitting nearby, inspiration struck.  Why not combine two of my favorite sauces, pesto and avocado creme, into one glorious topping?  And by jove, I believe I've found a new favorite spread.  I will be schmearing it on everything for the remainder of the week, thank you very much.


Pureed avocado has this lovely creamy, buttery texture with all the glorious flavor of avocado.  Added to this creamy base are fresh basil and garlic, which are always glorious together.  A lovely, fresh and healthy alternative to hollandaise, I believe even the hubs may request this from time to time.  Sorry ham.


Eggs Florentine with Avocado Basil Creme (2 servings)

For the creme....
  • 1/2 avocado
  • 2/3 c fresh packed basil leaves
  • 1/2 tsp garlic
  • 1 tsp parmesan
  • 1/2 tsp lime juice
  • 2 tbs fat free milk
  • salt & pepper
For the Florentine.....
  • 1/4 c vinegar
  • 4 eggs
  • 2 whole wheat english muffins
  • 1/2 c fresh spinach
  • 4 slices tomato, nice and thick

To make the creme, combine the avocado, basil garlic, parmesan, lime juice and milk in a food processor.  Blend until smooth. Season to taste with salt and pepper.

Fill a large, shallow pan with about 2 inches of water and add the vinegar (this will help the eggs keep their shape while poaching).  Place over high heat and bring water to a boil, then reduce to a simmer.  Crack an egg into a ramekin or small bowl and gently tip the egg into the hot water.  Repeat with remaining eggs.  Cook for 3-4 minutes, flipping once with a slotted spoon.  (This will give you a runny yolk but cooked white, so if you like a firm egg add a minute or two.)  Remove with a slotted spoon onto a paper towel-lined plate.

While the eggs are cooking, toast the english muffins.  Divide between two plates.  Place the Avocado Basil Creme in the microwave and heat for about 30 seconds until warm.  To assemble, top each english muffin half with a few leaves of spinach and a tomato slice.  Gently remove the poached eggs from the paper towel and place on top of the sliced tomato (I find my hands are the best way to do so without rupturing the egg yolk).  Top with avocado creme and serve immediately.

2 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh this looks SO GOOD. I LOVE poached eggs on toast, and I love avaocado! Going to make this tomorrow for breakfast for sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, poached eggs on toast is always divine. Enjoy!

      Delete