30 June 2012

Green Goddess Breakfast Toasts


About a month or so ago, when blogging around Pinterest, I did a double-take at this Green Goddess Grilled Cheese Sandwich from tastespotting.  Avocado, cheese, pesto grilled to melty perfection?  Yes please.  But as excited as I was to try her recipe, I just kept thinking, "If it only had eggs....."  I mean, who wouldn't want to wake up to that?





I love breakfast sandwiches.  The savory start to the day somehow feels so much more substantial than a sweet start.  And this is definitely a dish that will hold you over until lunch.  This breakfast has fiber from whole grain english muffins, great natural fats from the avocado, protein in the eggs and even sneaks a veggie in there with charred kale (my fave).  


I tried adding the eggs in several ways....fried, poached, scrambled....and while all were delicious, my hands-down winner was scrambled.  Please note, these are not just any ol' scrambled eggs.  These are creamy scrambled eggs, thanks to our good friend goat cheese.  A few years back, I had my first taste of Boursin scrambled eggs and thought "wow....where have you been all my life?!"  Adding a soft, creamy cheese to fluffy scrambled eggs is divine.  It's like a little cloud of deliciousness perched on top a small mountain of savory goodness.

Oh, and about the pesto....sometimes I go there, sometimes I don't.  Personally, I love the dish both ways.  The pesto is deliciously fantastic with the other flavors, but if you leave it off the cheese and avocado really shine through.  Try it both ways....see which you prefer!


Perhaps my favorite thing about this dish is how great it is reheated at work.  Seriously!  As soon as I took these pictures, I popped these tasty little guys into a tupperware and hauled them off to work.  Just save the final microwave time until you are ready to eat.  

So give this a try and have a delicious, creamy and cheesy good morning!

Green Goddess Breakfast Toasts (single serving)
  • 1 whole wheat English muffin
  • 2 kale leaves, roughly chopped
  • 1 oz provolone
  • several slices avocado (I use about 1/4 c)
  • 2 egg whites
  • 1 tbs goat cheese
  • salt & pepper to taste
  • pesto (option)
Lightly toast your english muffin.  While toasting, preheat a small pan over medium-high heat.  When hot, spray with non-stick and add the kale.  Cook for about a minute, then toss.  Continue to cook, tossing every 30 seconds, until kale begins to brown and crisp.  Remove pan from heat.

Crack egg whites into a microwave safe bowl.  Cook for 45 seconds, then remove and stir well.  Continue to cook, stopping and stirring every 30 seconds, for about 1 minute until eggs are cooked.  Add goat cheese and stir together well.

To assemble toasts, place muffins face up on a plate.  Top with kale and provolone (this helps hold the kale down).  Lay avocado slices on top of the provolone and then sprinkle with salt and fresh cracked pepper.  Divide creamy eggs between toasts and top with pesto, if desired.  

Right before serving, microwave for 30-60 seconds until the provolone begins to melt.  Serve with a side of fruit and big ol' mug of coffee.

No comments:

Post a Comment